Belize, like most countries, wants to protect its borders and so there are entry requirements for anyone who wants to visit. They are different depending on your home country, but it’s generally pretty simple to understand – and in many cases, you won’t need to do anything at all.
The main requirements are listed below. Making sure you understand the rules is definitely worth the effort. That way, your vacation can begin – headache-free – the moment you arrive in Belize.
‘No Visa Required’ Countries
Visitors from the below countries don’t require a visa to enter Belize, but there may be a minimum length your passport has to run after you depart – check this with your home consulate. You will also need to provide proof that you intend to leave Belize – a return flight ticket will be sufficient for this.
There is visa-free entry to Belize for nationals from:
– USA and Territories (or USA Permanent Residents)
– Canada (or Canada Permanent Residents)
– European Union (EU) member states
– Schengen visa holders
– Caribbean Community (CARICOM) member states
– Central and South America: Costa Rica, Chile, Guatemala, Mexico, Uruguay
– Other: Iceland, Norway, South Africa, Tunisia, United Kingdom
‘Visa Required’ Countries
Visitors from a number of other countries will require a visa to enter Belize. You can check the full list on the Belize Government Immigration website.
Applying For A Visa: Cost And Process
There’s a charge to apply for a Belize visa, and the cost varies depending on the visa you’re applying for.
Visas allow you up to a 30-day visit, but if you want to stay longer, you can apply for an extension – a ‘Belize Visitor’s Permit Extension’ – so you can stay for 60, 90, or even 180 days. The cost of each extension is BZ$200.
You can apply for your Belizean visa via your home country’s consulate or a travel agent, and your visa must be approved and issued before you arrive in Belize.
There are two types of visas available to tourists:
Single Entry Visa
– One entry into Belize is allowed
– Valid for 6 months from the issue date
– The cost depends on where you are from, but fees are currently:
– Peoples Republic of China: BZ$3000
– India, Nepal, Thailand, Burma, Bangladesh, Pakistan & Sri Lanka: BZ$750
– All other countries: BZ$200
Multiple Entry Visa
– Multiple entries into Belize are allowed
– Valid for 12 months from the issue date
– The cost depends on where you’re from, but fees are currently:
– Peoples Republic of China: BZ$4000
– India, Nepal, Thailand, Burma, Bangladesh, Pakistan & Sri Lanka: BZ$1000
– All other countries: BZ$300
Entering Belize With Children
If you are planning on traveling to Belize as a solo parent with a child, make sure you take a notarized letter of authority with you from the other parent, as you’ll need to show this when you arrive.
Belize And COVID-19
Due to COVID-19, there are currently additional requirements when entering Belize. These are rapidly changing, so please check your country’s consulate or the Belize Government’s website for the latest updates.